At the Cabinet meeting of 21 November 2012 was approved the National Intellectual Property Strategy until 2020.
As stated in the press release of the Government (http://www.gov.md/libview.php?l=ro&idc=436&id=5780), the purpose of the document is to strengthen the legal and institutional framework conducive to the creation, protection, management and full use of the intellectual property potential, which should become a fundamental element of developing a sustainable economy based on knowledge and innovation and a source of national wealth for the Republic of Moldova. The Strategy contains a comprehensive, multidisciplinary and balanced approach to issues related to the field of intellectual property, based on a high degree of interdepartmental, interdisciplinary and intersectoral cooperation at all levels, designed to strengthen the National Intellectual Property System. Draft Strategy has undergone an extensive public consultation procedure, currently representing the consolidated position of the parties involved in this subject.
We should note that the National Intellectual Property Strategy until 2012-2020 defines the perspectives of the National Intellectual Property System, objectives, measures and specific actions for their achievement. This is a continuation of the Development Strategy of the National System of Protection and Use of Intellectual Property Objects until 2010, approved by Government Decision no. 1143 of 18 September 2003.
The complex and multifunctional character of intellectual property, its involvement in all areas of economic, scientific, cultural and social life of the country, on the one hand, the need for a systemic approach both legally and institutionally, and on the other hand, its proper management creates an opportunity to get positive synergistic effects in various fields and to stimulate creativity, innovation and economic growth of the country.
In this context, it is necessary to undertake a number of appropriate measures for the gradual integration of intellectual property in all spheres of economic, scientific, cultural and social activity of the Republic of Moldova.
The general objectives of the National Intellectual Property Strategy until 2020 are the following:
- Encouraging the creation, protection and use of intellectual property as a key tool in creating conditions for the country’s transition to innovation model of economic growth.
- Continuous improvement of the legal framework of intellectual property, including its harmonization with EU legislation and implementation of international treaties to which the Republic of Moldova is a party.
- Development and modernization of the National Intellectual Property System; increase of its transparency and consistency.
- Strengthening the institutional capacities of the bodies charged with functions and responsibilities concerning the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights, the development of an effective infrastructure to prevent and combat counterfeiting and piracy phenomena.
- Promotion and development of a high culture in terms of intellectual property, public sensitization and awareness of the role of intellectual property and growing interest in the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights.
- Development of international, regional and bilateral cooperation in the field of intellectual property and Moldova’s integration into the European and international intellectual space.
At the same meeting, the Government approved the Action Plan for 2012-2014 on the implementation of the National Intellectual Property Strategy until 2020.