On current September 22-30 in Geneva, Switzerland it will take place a 36-th Session of the General Assembly of the member-states of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the representatives of which will discuss the last documents elaborated by WIPO on the large scale of subjects.
During the actual Session there were convoked sessions of 19 administrative sessions of WIPO: Paris Union Session, International Patent Classification (IPC) Union Session, Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Union Session, Patent Law Treaty (PLT) Union Session, WIPO Treaty on Copyright Union Session etc.
In the frame of the General Assembly WIPO Mr. Francis Gurry, ex- vice-director general WIPO, was appointed as the new Director General WIPO. In accordance with the Art. 9(3) of the WIPO Convention, the member-states unanimously approved the candidature of Francis Gurry on the term of 6 years, namely for the period of October 1, 2008 up to September 30, 2014.
There was also heard the annual report on the sessions of the WIPO Committee on Development and Intellectual Property created in September 2007. On the first session of March 2008 took part about 100 countries, 7 intergovernmental and 30 non-governmental organizations and on the second one of June there were represented 101 member-states, 8 intergovernmental and 37 non-governmental organizations.
The member-states were invited in order to express and approve documents represented by the International Bureau WIPO on the activity of the Permanent Committee on Copyright and related rights (SCCR), comprising those on Protection of the Audiovisual Interpretations and Protection of Broadcasting Organizations Rights, with the aim of improving the legal base related with the rights of these organizations in conditions of the rising utilization of the informational and communication nets.
The working agenda also comprised:
- the report of the Consulting Committee on Realization of the Intellectual Property Rights;
- the report of the Intergovernmental Committee WIPO on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore;
- the report of the Permanent Committee on the Patent Right;
- matters referred to the names of domain in Internet vis-à-vis of intellectual property protection, resolving of which is carried out by WIPO from 1998;
- the change of documents in the field of patents by the numerical (digital) access with the aim to offer a system substituting filing the applications on paper carriers;
- the aspects related with the legal development of the Madrid system on the international registration of marks, Hague system on the international deposit of the industrial designs, especially, proposals on reducing the fees for some applicants and realization of the program of system informational modernization etc.
In the frame of the 36-th session of the general Assembly WIPO the delegation from the Republic of Moldova, head by Mr. Dorian Chirosca, Director general AGEPI, realized a number of meetings with the delegations of some countries, members of common subject interests, including with Vice-president of the European Patent Office (EPO), in order to amplify the cooperation with this office, negotiations on signing an agreement between the Republic of Moldova and EPO, with dr. Yüksel BİRİNCİ, president of the Patent Institute of Turkey, with which there was discussed the possibility to sign an agreement on cooperation in the field of IP during his visit in the Republic of Moldova on the invitation of the Director General AGEPI. There took also place other mutually beneficial meetings on the matters of cooperation with the directors of the IP offices of the countries of Central and East Europe as well as Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Montenegro, Slovakia, Poland.
On the request of Mrs. Margareta Stroot, journalist of the state company “Teleradio-Moldova” accredited in UNO, Mr. Dorian Chirosca, Director General AGEPI gave an interview, broadcasted in Geneva, related to the IP system of the Republic of Moldova and the advantages of the international cooperation in the IP field.
The details of the 36-th Session of the General Assembly of WIPO: http://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2008/article_0044.html