Starting with March 23, 2020, the State Agency on Intellectual Property of the Republic of Moldova (AGEPI) offers access to the online service for filing Madrid e-Filing applications to trademark applicants.
Thus, the Republic of Moldova becomes the first country in south-east Europe to offer the online application filing service for users of the Madrid System Concerning the International Registration of Marks.
In the context of the implementation of the aforementioned platform by AGEPI, trademark owners or applicants who are resident, or have their domicile, or head office, or an effective and functional industrial or commercial enterprise in the Republic of Moldova will have the opportunity to submit international applications in electronic format.
The Madrid eFiling platform offers several advantages, including:
- Reducing the number of irregularities associated with manual data entry, because the information is extracted directly from the AGEPI Registers;
- Direct access to Madrid Goods and Services Manager for the verification of products and services;
- A simplified AGEPI certification process;
- Reducing the time required to submit applications;
- Offering the possibility to check the status of the application in live mode on the e-Filing desk.
The connection to the Madrid eFiling service is made through the following steps:
1. Sign in to https://e-servicii.agepi.gov.md/ro and activate the Madrid eFiling Platform, then follow the instructions for creating the user account and select the option “Create an Application for International Registration”.
2. Enter the reference mark registration No./filing No. and check the fields prepopulated with data from the AGEPI Registers.
3. Select the designated contracting parties and the products and services for which you want protection.
4. Update the data on the owner, representative and correspondence address, if applicable.
5. Pay the fees using a WIPO current account, credit card or choose the newest payment option through the National Office.
6. After certifying the data by AGEPI and confirming the payment, the system sends the request directly to WIPO for registration.
7. Respond to letters of irregularities when necessary.
8. Receive the international trademark registration number.
We should mention that the implementation of Madrid eFiling service by AGEPI increases the number of users of the Madrid e-Filing platform to eight, the Republic of Moldova joining the offices in Benelux, Australia, Georgia, Austria, Lithuania, Estonia and Canada.